I'd thought I'd post this list I received by multi-forwarded email, which gives a rough idea of what it's like living in certain parts of Nevada, specifically in Elko. As though it were a meme, I have "bolded" the items that apply to me.
HOW TO TELL YOU LIVE IN OR WITHIN 100 MILES OF ELKO, NV...
1) If you consider it a sport to gather your food by drilling through 18 inches of ice and sitting there all day hoping that the food will swim by, you might live in Elko.
2) If you're proud that your region makes the national news 96 nights each year because Elko is the coldest spot in the nation [lower 48], you might live in Elko.
3) If your local Dairy Queen is closed from November through March, you might live in Elko.
4) If you instinctively walk like a penguin for five months out of the year, you might live in Elko.
5) If someone in a store offers you assistance, and they don't work there, you might live in Elko.
6) If your dad's suntan stops at a line curving around the middle of his forehead, you might live in Elko.
7) If you have worn shorts and a parka at the same time, you might live in Elko.
8) If your town has an equal number of bars and churches, you might live in Elko [or WAY fewer churches].
9) If you have had a lengthy telephone conversation with someone who dialed a wrong number, you might live in Elko.
YOU KNOW YOU ARE A TRUE ELKONIAN WHEN:
1. "Vacation" means going up north past I-80 for the weekend.
2. You measure distance in hours.
3. You know several people who have hit a deer more than once.
4. You often switch from "heat" to "A/C" in the same day and back again.
5. You can drive 65 mph through 2 feet of snow during a raging blizzard, without flinching.
6. You see people wearing camouflage at social events (including weddings).
7. You install security lights on your house and garage and leave all the doors unlocked.
8. You carry jumper cables in your car and [you know] how to use them.
9. You design your kid's Halloween costume to fit over a snowsuit.
10. Driving is better in the winter because the potholes are filled with snow.
11. You know all 4 seasons: almost winter, winter, still winter and road construction.
12. You can identify a southern or western accent.
13. Your idea of creative landscaping is a concrete statue of a deer next to your blue spruce.
14. You were unaware that there is a legal drinking age.
15. Down South to you means Las Vegas.
16. A critter is something you eat.
17. Your neighbor throws a party to celebrate his new pole shed.
18. You go out to fish fry every Friday.
19. YOUR 4TH OF JULY PICNIC WAS MOVED INDOORS DUE TO FROST.
20. You have more miles on your snow blower than your car.
21. You find 0 degrees "a little chilly."
22. You actually understand these jokes, and you forward them to all your Elko friends.