Monday, August 25, 2008

Food Meme

JaneB at Now, what was I doing? had this food meme on her blog, and although I haven't been tagged for it, I thought it was interesting. Also, EcoGeoFemme at The Happy Scientist has been tagged, and sometimes she tags me. She's in France, though, so I thought I'd go ahead with this post-published post (is that what you call it? pre-published?).

Following JaneB's slight modification:
bold = have eaten, italics = tried but couldn't keep down, red = no way ever, blue = would eat if starving-in-the-wilds, regular = haven't tried and don't have an opinion or might like to try. I'm not sure exactly what to make of the "couldn't keep down" - possibly an exaggeration of just really, really don't like.

1. Venison
2. Nettle tea
3. Huevos rancheros
4. Steak tartare - actually, this is probably good, just like sushi.
5. Crocodile - how do you kill a croc when starving in the wilds? Just a regular rifle?? An elephant gun?
6. Black pudding
7. Cheese fondue
8. Carp
9. Borscht
10. Baba ghanoush - it sounds good, but I haven't tried it.
11. Calamari - yuck!
12. Pho - also sounds good/okay, haven't tried it.
13. PB&J sandwich
14. Aloo gobi - don't know.
15. Hot dog from a street cart - in D.C., where lunch is always served that way!
16. Epoisses - might be good.
17. Black truffle
18. Fruit wine made from something other than grapes - does Boone's Farm apple wine count?
19. Steamed pork buns
20. Pistachio ice cream
21. Heirloom tomatoes
22. Fresh wild berries
23. Foie gras - might be good/okay.
24. Rice and beans - a normal part of many meals!
25. Brawn, or head cheese
26. Raw Scotch Bonnet pepper
27. Dulce de leche
28. Oysters - but only under some circumstances, like in a turkey stuffing, or when too young to know any better, or when trying to prove I can try something new - yuck! But it might be better than starving.
29. Baklava
30. Bagna cauda - sounds good.
31. Wasabi peas
32. Clam chowder in a sourdough bowl
33. Salted lassi - sounds good/okay.
34. Sauerkraut
35. Root beer float - a favorite from my Grandma, so it brings back fond memories.
36. Cognac with a fat cigar - have had both of these separately, prefer the cigar to the cognac.
37. Clotted cream tea - might be good, might be bad.
38. Vodka jelly/Jell-O - why?
39. Gumbo
40. Oxtail - yikes!
41. Curried goat - this is probably fine, but who has a goat around?
42. Whole insects
43. Phaal - sounds good.
44. Goat’s milk - a childhood staple.
45. Malt whisky from a bottle worth £60/$120 or more - maybe, who's counting?
46. Fugu
47. Chicken tikka masala - sounds good.
48. Eel - don't like the sound of this, though maybe it's as good as snake, and maybe I've tried it as sushi.
49. Krispy Kreme original glazed doughnut
50. Sea urchin
51. Prickly pear - this might also be difficult to tackle in the wild.

Hmm... This is making me hungry, will have to stop, now, while I make some nachos. Back later... (nachos wasn't on the list, but like I said, I don't have a goat handy)

52. Umeboshi - sounds okay.
53. Abalone
54. Paneer - sounds okay/good.
55. McDonald’s Big Mac Meal - one of my least favorite food from McDonald's, not sure if you can find a McDonald's in the wild.
56. Spaetzle - sound just fine.
57. Dirty gin martini
58. Beer above 8% ABV - Old Rasputin is quite good, and at 9%, a 4-pak is plenty!
59. Poutine - sounds odd, but probably okay (or maybe even yucky!).
60. Carob chips
61. S’mores
62. Sweetbreads
63. Kaolin - everyone eats this every now and then, it's a great filler.
64. Currywurst - sounds very yummy.
65. Durian - might be okay, might not, certainly would be okay in the wild.
66. Frogs’ legs - probably tastes like chicken.
67. Beignets, churros, elephant ears or funnel cake - sounds very good.
68. Haggis - might be okay.
69. Fried plantain - is probably good.
70. Chitterlings, or andouillette
71. Gazpacho - very yummy.
72. Caviar and blini - the blini sounds fine, and I like caviar.
73. Louche absinthe - I think I've had absinthe, but not the "louche" variety.
74. Gjetost, or brunost - very yummy.
75. Roadkill
76. Baijiu - have no idea if I would like this.
77. Hostess Fruit Pie - probably.
78. Snail - in Galveston Bay.
79. Lapsang souchong - a wonderful, smokey-flavored tea that many people don't like.
80. Bellini - might be good.
81. Tom yum - sounds very good.
82. Eggs Benedict - yumm, a favorite.
83. Pocky - could be good/okay.
84. Tasting menu at a three-Michelin-star restaurant - haven't tried this.
85. Kobe beef
86. Hare
- don't think I've had this, but I figure I could get a rabbit with a rock in the desert if needed.
87. Goulash
88. Flowers
89. Horse - probably doesn't taste like chicken.
90. Criollo chocolate - maybe?
91. Spam
92. Soft shell crab
93. Rose harissa - sounds good.
94. Catfish
95. Mole poblano
96. Bagel and lox
97. Lobster Thermidor - haven't had it, but next time I'm in France (ha!), I will try it.
98. Polenta
99. Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee
100. Snake - a great emergency food!

3 comments:

Amanda said...

100. Snake - a great emergency food!

?!? In what emergency were you required to eat snake?!

Unknown said...

Vodka Jelly - ever heard of Jell-O Shots? Mmmm. Can you say frat party?

Silver Fox said...

Amanda, fortunately I wasn't in an emergency when I needed to eat snake - it was just a helicopter camp, and one of the claim stakers had shot a rattler. We were all offered a small bit - and, it tasted like chicken, I swear, maybe a little greasier. Cooked over a campfire.

I think that in an emergency it might be hard to get a snake for food, unless you had a gun with snake shot, or got lucky with a very large rock.