Thursday, May 3, 2012

Wedge #45: Geological Pilgrimage

Having been provoked by a recent online coversation, I've decided to take a quick moment to post a (late) addition to this month's Accretionary Wedge topic, a geological pilgrimage to "a single place, which is 'geologically' unique, relatively remote, and requires some difficulty to get to.'" I had thought I wouldn't post anything, because I'm not sure of making it anywhere besides, possibly, Midas, Tuscarora, and the Galápagos Islands, all of which I've put off for years, but which are all still on my list. But, taking a page from Ron Schott, I'll post briefly about a place I'd really like to see, though I have no particular plans or prospects of getting there: the South China Karst, also here and here. I don't really know why I find the area fascinating, but here is one video showing some of the lure, with some alluring music:

4 comments:

The Bobs said...

Another interesting and relatively unknown geological place to visit in China is the Danxia sandstone. It's like what Monument Valley would look like if it was in a place that rained a lot.

Link

Lockwood said...

I agree that there is an aspect of this area that is fascinating and mesmerizing... I know I'd seen it before, but the movie that really grabbed me was (I think) "The Man With the Golden Gun." Spectacular geomorphology, which I would love to see first hand- though I think it's very unlikely.

The Bobs said...

"The Man With the Golden Gun." was shot in Phuket, Thailand. Same type of formation, but a different place.

Silver Fox said...

The Bobs: thanks for the link.

Lockwood et al: maybe I'll have to go to Thailand while I'm out there.