Friday, March 6, 2015

Back on a Sometimes Muddy Road

Well, I'm back at the place I was working at about two years ago (see these three posts for more info), spending more time on a back paved road and on dirt roads than I was most recently while on the road to work (I'm still driving on the interstate some, but a lot less than during the last two years). I find that I prefer the back roads and the dirt: I feel a bit like I'm going out in the field every day, although I'm really not.

It means that the road is sometimes wet, muddy, snowy, icy, or sometimes it has been recently sprayed by a water truck or recently magged. I decided to take a few pics of what that looks like on my jeep (in this case, the road had been sprayed by a water truck to keep the dust down). I wasn't actually on the road to work when taking the pictures, but instead had pulled over on a convenient side road while traveling elsewhere after a couple/few days at work. Consequently the tags include two locations; the post location (below) links to the photos.
The front of said jeep, the Eugene Mountains in the background.
The right side, with part of the East Range in the background.
The rear tire looks low, but isn't.
The rear and left sides. That's a high part of the East Range with the snow.
And the door handle area of the left, driver's side door.

4 comments:

Ron Schott said...

Is that the color Jeep describes as "garnet" under all that mud/dust?

Utemike said...

I used to be able to identify which mine a vehicle had been to by the mud color. Florida Canyon was especially apparent. Comes in handy when the mud is too thick to see the company logo on the door. :-)

Silver Fox said...

Ron, I was led to believe when buying it that it was "red". I think it looks burgundy, but I think garnet is a good, geological color. Also, it does look like that's the color coming up on google images for "garnet jeep". I'll tell people that from now on: garnet jeep.

Silver Fox said...

Utemike, this mud is from a road going to more than one, more than two, even, mines -- and surprisingly seems to match the mud on the road I took the photo on, which is miles and miles away. It's probably a regional color! (Now, maybe if you actually were driving inside a pit...)