Wednesday, June 30, 2021

Dust Storm in Nevada

When I got up this morning, I could barely see the nearby East Range and couldn't see the Eugene Mountains at all for all the thick dust. I eventually went out to get some coffee, and ended up searching for locations to get a few photos. The dust had cleared a little, though. The above shot shows the partly hidden East Range (and doesn't show the completely hidden Eugene Mountains). The closer part of the East Range is about 9 miles away; the Eugene Mountains are 24 miles away.
Here's a shot looking more or less east toward the Sonoma Range, which at only 8 miles distance look pretty hazy.
Off to the north, things weren't quite as hazy, although you can still see a white haze.
After getting coffee, I looked at the weather satellite photos for the Pacific Southwest, which clearly showed a large dust storm, probably a haboob, moving northward and eastward from the Fallon and Carson Sink area, beginning around 8:00pm last night, continuing as late as 11:00pm. By the time I remembered to grab a screen shot of the satellite photos, it was late this afternoon, so I couldn't capture the beginning.
These screen shots are from about 8:00pm PST last night. I've added the outline of the front of the dust plume in the second shot.

No comments: