Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Morning Person

Well, apparently against all reason and indications to the contrary, I have been labeled a morning person. It is true, though, that by 6:40 am, I should either be on my way to work, or well established in my truck and about to head out the driveway. It's also true that I require coffee in the morning, strong coffee, and that I like to have an entire first, large "cup" prior to doing anything else at all (except getting the coffee).

[dead image link]

"You're the time of day right around sunrise, when the sky is still a pale bluish gray. The streets are empty, and the grass and leaves are a little bit sparkly with dew. You are the sound of a few chirpy birds outside the window. You are quiet, peaceful, and contemplative. If you move slowly, it's not because you're lazy ? it's because you know there's no reason to rush. You move like a relaxed cat, pausing for deep stretches that make your muscles feel alive. You are long sips of tea or coffee (out of a mug that's held with both hands) that slowly warm your insides just as the sun is brightening the sky."
I found the quiz on The Happy Scientist. She's been writing recently about the negative correlation between the amount of beer drinking one does and one's publication rate. I don't know if it's my early-career beer drinking that screwed up my publication rate, or just my choice of career orientation. Supposedly, Confucius said, "It is not wise for a young man to drink; it is wise for an old man to drink." I guess the "man" could equally apply to "woman." Either way, I probably used up my share a long time ago.

Wayfarer Scientista has written recently about early spring in Colorado. It may be early spring here, but I think it's too cold in the morning (below 20 F) to really qualify for that.

No pictures today. I'll be back at work tomorrow for a couple weeks, and so I've been fairly busy on my last day off, getting ready. I did manage to get a bunch of stuff to the accountant today, and also took some time to eat lunch at a Hotel Restaurant that I don't usually frequent. The food was good; the timing slow. This coming week or two, I won't really be "gone," because I'm already here and have been for about a week, but my rate of writing usually goes down while working - so we'll see how it goes.

No comments: