Friday, May 24, 2013

Things You Find in the Field: Fauna on and near Rocks...OR...on and amongst the Flora

Blue belly lizard near some foliated andesite (this is the Great Basin Fence Lizard, or Sceloporus occidentalis longipes).
(click any photo to enlarge)
The lizard was rather skittish, and I couldn't get very close.
Read more about blue bellies in an earlier post.
A lizard of unknown denomination running over a lichen-covered outcrop.
A very small gray and white bird perched on a gray rock
atop an iron-stained outcrop (upper right).
Two shining leaf chafers or "Little Bears."
AKA Paracotalpa granicollis, a kind of scarab beetle.
Ladybug!
And finally, a meadowlark atop a sagebrush.
I hear meadowlarks often, but am not always quite so lucky as to see them. This time, I was crossing a muddy little stream by a meadow, on my way to take the long way home (I didn't know it was *such* a long way, but oh well) when I heard this one singing.

No comments: