Thursday, May 29, 2008

New Computer



My new computer has finally arrived - it has its quirks, as all computers do - but is much faster than the old one and has a 250 GB hard drive and 3GB of usable RAM. Much faster. And supposedly will get faster when I download Service Pack 3. No, I didn't get Vista. Not yet. I'll wait 6 months or a year, from what I've heard.

And so, on the first sunny day for a long time ...


... I've been doing this, and I'll be doing it for a while:




In fact, that was so much fun, that after taking a break to see the local sights...




... I came back and did it some more:



I was in chat rooms for setup information 3 times -- and non-information 66.67% of those times. Well, 1 chat was successful, 1 chat was a complete waste of time with non-information and outright errors, and 1 chat was particularly annoying because although maybe one thing was accomplished, and my other questions answered, the one thing that was accomplished didn't need to be, and my questions were answered in a particularly long and annoying fashion by remote control of my new computer. I was so annoyed after what seemed like forever, that instead of grabbing the cursor away from the person "helping," I used my recently found, non-cursor shortcut controls and shut down IE7 while the chatting person watched, hopefully in horror. The questions could have been answered in two sentences or less, rather than taking up my time staring at cursors moving around the screen by remote control.

Anyway - here's my first post with the new computer!

2 comments:

coconino said...

At my work, the IT folks (in another location) can "abduct" my computer at will, though it really only happens when you request assistance. It is most distressing to watch someone else operating one's computer from a remote location. Shades of "big bro" watching you. I'd really be perturbed if my home computer got abducted by a low-paid tech support person on a chat line.

Good luck, and take liberal libation breaks. I want to drop kick my computer(s) just as much as I want to hug them, and I'm sure most others feel the same...

Silver Fox said...

I've done this remote assistance thing online before when something was seriously wrong, and didn't mind it, and learned a few things while watching. So that's why I consented this time - also, I'm not at all familiar with Norton. Maybe this person couldn't write English very well - what she did could have been said very simply.