Saturday, February 21, 2009

More Snowshoeing

Yes, we went snowshoeing again - rather than going to Hawaii - and taking some inspiration from Wayfarer Scientista, I'm just going to post a few pictures. Her recent photo was one of serenity and peacefulness, of snow, water, trees, and mountains; mine are of snow, ice, trees, and mountains. The common theme of these pictures is snow, which is nice and cold. Cold is good for chilling out, in case you ever need to do that.
tree shadowsAspen tree shadows on sparkly snow.
mahogony and snowMountain mahogany branches, weighed down by snow. When these snow masses are higher in the bushes and trees, we call them "tree clouds," a local term invented very recently. Be careful, tree clouds can fall on you!
mini iciclesTiny icicles, often seen dripping from tree clouds and other snow masses.
bushesA scenic view of sunlit bushes, evergreen trees, and a snowy mountainside as seen across shadowed snow.
mini aspensA small aspen grove beyond a bower formed of mostly of mountain mahogany branches.
trees in lightSunlit aspen trees hiding amongst the shadows. Note the small, bright tree cloud.
mountainThe mountain on one side of the canyon, with an avalanche chute towards the left and some wrinkled snow near the top.
snow texturesUnusual snow textures on the mountain. I wouldn't want to be up there; it all looks a little unstable.
trail But not so, here on the ground, where we mush uphill, slowly onward. Snow drifts were deep; fortunately, someone I know - who was snowshoeing with me, there up ahead - had made a path about a week earlier.

6 comments:

Unbalanced Reaction said...

Beautiful! Almost makes me like winter again.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful! I wish I weren't tired of snow. I like the photos, so don't get me wrong. I've had enough of people misunderstanding me because I make poor word choice...*sigh* Sorry for the rambling. Again, nice photos.

Silver Fox said...

UR - already tired of winter? February's not over yet! ;)

Silver Fox said...

Raptor - glad you like the photos. Can't blame you for being tired of snow! And the snow was very deep up on the mountain! (And, hey, your words are just fine, no worries.)

Cath@VWXYNot? said...

Mmm, lovely. It's been a terrible year for avalanches here and it looks like you're getting some of the same conditions.

We went to the beach on Saturday. Nothing like a cold and sunny day by the water.

Silver Fox said...

Fortunately the main trail really isn't in any avalanche hazard zone. I'm not sure what it's like way up above tree line, but those two photos show a part of the mountain that I don't think anyone usually traverses.

The beach sounds like bracing!