Tuesday, January 27, 2009

America's Top 25 Most Visted Places Meme

ReBecca tagged me for this meme. Bold the places you have been to. The numbers are probably the average amount of people per year.

1. Times Square, New York City, NY - 35 million

2. The Las Vegas Strip, Las Vegas, NV - 31 million

3. National Mall and Memorial Parks, Washington DC - 24 million

4. Faneuil Hall Marketplace, Boston, MA

5. Disney World's Magic Kingdom, Lake Buena Vista, FL - 17.1 million

6. Disneyland Park, Anaheim, CA - 14.9 million

7. Fisherman's Wharf/Golden Gate National Recreation Area, San Francisco, CA - 14 million

8. Niagara Falls, NY - 12 million

9. Great Smoky Mountains National Park, TN/NC - 9.4 million - I've been on I-81 to I-40 (they are the same road) within not very many miles (25?) probably twice, but have never stopped here.

10 Navy Pier, Chicago, IL - 8.6 million

11. Lake Mead National Recreation Area, AZ/NV - 7.6 million

12. Universal Studios/ Islands of Adventure, Orlando, FL - 6.2 million

13. SeaWorld Florida, Orlando, FL - 6 million

14. San Antonio River Walk, TX - 5.1 million

15. Temple Square, Salt Lake City, UT - 5 million

16. Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area, PA/NJ - 4.8 million

17. Universal Studios Hollywood, CA - 4.7 million

18. Metropolitan Museum, New York City, NY - 4.5 million

18. Waikiki Beach, Oahu, HI - 4.5 million - I've just seen what you can from the air and airport.

20. Grand Canyon, AZ - 4.41 million

21. Busch Gardens Africa, Tampa Bay, FL - 4.4 million

22. Cape Cod National Seashore, MA - 4.35 million

23. Sea World San Diego, CA - 4.26 million

24. American Museum of Natural History, New York City, NY - 4 million - I've never stopped anywhere off the freeways in NY.

25. Atlantic City Boardwalk, NJ - 4 million - possibly, but I don't think so.

Only nine of twenty five and a few near misses. Not so hot, but they list a lot of places in Big Cities.

I didn't see any tagging requirements. ReBecca tagged two people; I will tag anyone who has been to Great Smoky Mountains National Park, anyone who thinks Time Square is a fun place to hang out, or anyone who wants to do this meme! Good luck - Jazinator at Dino Jim's Vent got a 12/25; ReBecca got an 8/25; I have a 9/25.

13 comments:

Jim L. said...

Only one Z in Jazinator. :-)

Silver Fox said...

Oops! Have changed it.

PhizzleDizzle said...

did the meme - a 20/25 for me!!! woot! :)

Jim L. said...

No prob, and I didn't know you had to set up requirements for tagging

Silver Fox said...

Ah, memes usually come with tagging instructions - sometimes people bypass these, anyway. So, no worry. I essentially said anyone can play!

Silver Fox said...

PD, you have the current record!!! (Maybe you'd better not tag anyone?)

Jim L. said...

I wonder if anyone has done them all.

Marciepooh said...

Six definite, 4 possibles, and one next-to.

Lockwood said...

13 for me! I'm think about putting one together on museums... I was a little appalled to see only 2 on this list.

PhizzleDizzle said...

Lockwood, you're right! I'm actually pretty surprised (and sad) to see that the Getty is not on there, nor is Boston's Museum of Science.

Silver Fox said...

Lockwood, if you make up a museum meme, be sure to add The Smithsonian in Wash. D.C. - or should one add every single part of it? Then I'd win! YAY! ReBecca would probably want you to add the Western Colorado Museum.

I think the San Diego Zoo should be on a list like this, though it is not a museum.

Lockwood said...

Thanks for providing a little motivation... I've been thinking about this, trying to consider the most objective way to approach it. Rather than, for example, focussing on the museums I've been to. I think I'll make it part of the meme to add important museums not on the original list. I haven't been to Europe, so I was planning on looking at US and Canadian museums. How to define "museum?" At first, I wasn't thinking art, but just science. Zoos? I think that fits. How about aquaria? Considering...

All that said, I'm surprised that the Museum of Natural History gets more visitors than the Smithsonian. No list of American museums would be complete without it.

Word verification is "ousne," painful acne. Now I can't use it for a Wednesday word.

Silver Fox said...

I was thinking of the National Museum of Natural History - but The Smithsonian includes all those other places on The Mall (art, art again, sculpture, space, space again I think, history, more history, the National Zoo, others, The Castle...).