Friday, July 24, 2009

Rock and Butterfly

Rock and butterfly: a small white and dark brown butterfly rests on a piece of breccia in our garden. Volcanic rock fragments, subangular to rounded, sit in an iron-oxide-rich matrix, probably hydrothermal in origin.
The rock is from northeastern Idaho; the butterfly is from eastern Nevada.
A good side view of the butterfly, which is now on one of the marigolds.
This same butterfly is now about to fly away from its zucchini leaf, because the camera lens has gotten too close for its comfort.


Heart: Dog and Butterfly

6 comments:

Gaelyn said...

Nice captures. Like the Idaho breccia in your garden.

Amanda@Lady Scientist said...

I love all the pictures. Plus I got to learn a bit about rocks :-)

Rod said...

Please forgive the completely off-topic comment!

WoGE#167 has been languishing for so long on Ron Schott's site that the Google imagery has actually changed. I think it's probably just escaped the attention of the geoblogosphere because the momentum was lost back in early spring, but it's time to get things rolling again. Ron tried to give a big hint recently, but he did it through Twitter. I thought I'd take the more drastic measure of posting a hint on some previous WoGE winners' sites: Windley and Allen, 1993.

Silver Fox said...

I've now linked to another post with a little bit more about breccia (for those interested!), like I meant to do in the first place.

GeologyJoe said...

at first i was gonna say 'isnt rock and butter fly a folk song' then i scroll down and 'blam' there is the vid.....

Silver Fox said...

Exactly! The title made me think of the song. So I posted the song vid. My mind works in strange ways.